A Close Call
I still remember the terror in Jacob’s eyes as he limped through the doors of the emergency room. Behind Jacob was his friend Carl, towing a cooler. They had been camping in Northern Arizona when Jacob was bitten by a rattlesnake in a rock pile. Panicked, Jacob’s friend smashed the snake with a boulder and threw it in the cooler. In what he believed would be a heroic effort, Carl attempted to suck the venom from Jacob’s leg with his own mouth.
It didn’t work.
Jacob made a full recovery, but their actions at the time of the emergency were detrimental and based solely on what they had seen in Hollywood fiction.
Their story- and many others like it- led us to develop Survival Med.
We provide wilderness and medical education across the world. We teach for the National Park Service, National Association for Search and Rescue, United States military, universities, physicians, general public, and everyone in between. In just the first year of operation, our courses have reached more than 100 countries and all 7 continents. Survival Med classes are designed to be affordable and accessible from your own home.
Our goal is to maximize the public’s access to these life-saving skills.
-Natalie Bonthius, MD: Founder of Survival Med
Affiliate Of The
Do you need a first aid or survival course tailored to your environment? Reach out today!
We are contracted with the National Park Service, state government entities, search and rescue groups, outdoor companies, and schools to provide tailored courses for specific environments. Our courses can be adapted to any length and any setting.
Natalie Bonthius, MD
- Fellow in the Academy of Wilderness Medicine (FAWM) Candidate
- Advanced Wilderness and Expedition Provider (AWEP)
- Advanced Wilderness Life Support
- International Association of Near-Death Studies (IANDS) Board Member
Richard Ingebretsen, MD PhD
- University of Utah School of Medicine clinical instructor
- Program Director, University of Utah “Wild Med U” Program
- Medical Director, Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue
- Former Associate Dean of Students Affairs, University of Utah College of Science
- Founder of the Glen Canyon Institute
- Vice-Chair of Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance
- Founder of Wilderness Medicine of Utah
- Owner of River Bound Adventures
- Firefighter/Paramedic, Jackson Hole Fire/EMS and Grand Teton National Park
- Award-winning author of Wild Rescues, Lights and Sirens, and Beneath Blossom Rain
- Graduate of UCLA’S renowned Daniel Freeman Paramedic Program
Robert Scanlon, MD
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Critical Care Medicine, and Sleep Medicine
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- Owner – Somnopath, LLC-medical science consultant
- Owner – Medical Media Consulting
Suvival Med Courses
Survival Med provides low-cost wilderness medical courses for the public. Our dream is to provide affordable, effective, and convenient wilderness and medical educational courses to anyone in the world. That is why we created our courses to be 100% virtual, so you can learn where you feel most comfortable. It also allows us to keep our costs down so our services are less expensive for you. All the courses we provide are created by doctors who are leaders in the field of wilderness medicine, and are based on the most up-to-date science and research in the field.
If you have questions about a course, or if you need one tailored to your group, contact us today!
Please email us at [email protected]. We look forward to connecting with you.